Epilepsy , a neurological condition that affects more than 50 million people in the world , has found a promising ally in CBD. Scientific advances in this field are increasingly relevant, offering hope to those who do not find relief with traditional treatments.
Why is epilepsy leading CBD research?
Numerous studies , such as the one carried out by the National Center for Child Health and Human Development of the United States, have shown that CBD can be an effective alternative for the treatment of epilepsy, especially in cases of refractory epilepsy , where traditional treatments fail.
A study published in the journal Epilepsia found that CBD reduced seizures by 44% in children with Dravet syndrome, a rare and severe form of epilepsy.
Another study, published in The Lancet , found that CBD reduced seizures by 39% in adults with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, another rare and severe form of epilepsy.
Unlike other medications , CBD has a favorable safety profile , making it an attractive option for many patients. A study published in the journal Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews found that CBD is generally well tolerated, with few side effects.
A milestone in research:
Epidiolex is the first and only CBD-based medication approved by the FDA for the treatment of epilepsy. This milestone marks a before and after in the research and use of CBD for this condition.
Epidiolex is indicated for Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in patients 2 years of age and older. Clinical studies have shown that this medication significantly reduces the frequency of seizures in these syndromes.
Research into CBD and epilepsy does not stop. Numerous studies are being carried out to evaluate its effectiveness in other types of epilepsy and in other neurological conditions such as anxiety, insomnia and chronic pain.
The therapeutic potential of CBD is broad and could improve the quality of life of many people.
Key points to remember:
- More than 50 million people in the world suffer from epilepsy.
- CBD has been shown to be effective in reducing seizures in patients with refractory epilepsy .
- CBD has a favorable safety profile .
- Epidiolex is the first and only CBD-based medication approved by the FDA for the treatment of epilepsy.
- Numerous studies are being conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of CBD in other conditions.
- CBD is not a cure for epilepsy, but it can be an effective treatment for some patients.
- It is important to consult with a doctor before considering the use of CBD, especially if you are taking other medications.