Medical cannabis to improve multiple sclerosis symptoms
Most patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) develop bothersome lower urinary tract symptoms, including nocturia (frequent nighttime awakenings with the need to urinate). Reports from some studies suggest that Cannabis may alleviate these symptoms. In this article of our blog we collect the main data of the trial for information purposes.
This pilot study has evaluated the therapeutic action of Cannabis in relation to multiple sclerosis (MS) patients with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS).
The study measured the efficacy of two whole plant extracts of Cannabis Sativa, THC and CBD or Cannabidiol, in patients with advanced multiple sclerosis and refractory lower urinary tract symptoms.
Patients took extracts containing delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and CBD (cannabidiol) for eight weeks, followed by THC alone for another eight weeks, and finally in the long term.
Twenty-one patients were recruited and data from fifteen were evaluated.
Data collected after combined THC and CBD treatment at final evaluation reflect a significant decrease in:
- Urinary urgency overall.
- The number, frequency and volume of urinary incontinence episodes.
But not only nocturia improved and significantly decreased after treatment with THC and CBD, also the self-assessment of pain relief, spasticity (muscle stiffness) and sleep quality , all recognized benefits of CBD, improved significantly in these patients.
It is worth mentioning that few bothersome side effects were reported and that all patients received an equal dose of THC and CBD: 2.5 mg per spray.
This study suggests that medicinal cannabis-based extracts are a safe and effective treatment for urinary and other problems in patients with advanced multiple sclerosis.
CBD, a natural ally for our health
More and more research is being done on the health properties of cannabidiol or CBD. Significant findings have been discovered in relation to the use of CBD as a support in the treatment of several diseases, and we have talked about all of them in this blog:
- Neurodegenerative diseases.
- Arthrosis and arthritis.
- Reproductive problems and infertility.
- Anxiety and depression.
- Migraine headaches.
Guaranteed premium CBD and medical advice
Those wishing to get started with CBD, two fundamental aspects need to be taken into account:
- That the CBD be of the highest guaranteed and certified quality and that the laboratory reports of the product be available to the consumer, so that there is no doubt regarding the concentration and other properties. In Phexia we fulfill both requirements, since our CBD is full spectrum premium and the laboratory reports of each product can be downloaded from the web.
- That the manufacturer can offer a medical advice service. In Phexia, we have a medical advisory committee that provides this personalized consultation service from the email address email@example.com.